Valentine’s Day Coconut Cupcakes made with red velvet box cake mix. Make it quick to have more time with them!!
What ingredient makes a cupcake moist?
You can use 1/2 cup of sour cream (sounds weird, right) or yogurt to add moisture. Or, you can do what I do, and add a box of pudding mix.
How do I make my cupcakes fluffier?
Now, this is a argued point here. Some people/chefs say that you should mix the batter longer, creating bubbles. The bubbles make the cake airy and fluffy. This is what I prefer.
However, some day you should not over mix your batter. That will get rid of the air bubbles that make cakes and cupcakes fluffier. Try mixing on a lower speed.
Try both and see what you think.
How full should I fill cupcake liners?
Use 1/4 cup of batter, or fill 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full. If you fill the liner to the top, the cupcake will rise over and overflow the cups, creating a mess. Plus, they don’t look as pretty. They look like jacked up mushrooms.
Need more Valentine Goodies?
- Valentine Trash Bars
- Valentine Muddy Buddies (highly recommended)
- Mozzarella Cheese Hearts
- Homemade Pink Hot Chocolate
- Strawberry Spritezer
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the side and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Valentine’s Day Coconut Cupcakes
- Cupcake Pan / Muffin Tin
- Stand Mixer/Hand Mixer
- 1 8.25 oz Red Velvet Cake Mix or, red cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 2/3 Cup Water FOLLOW YOUR BOX DIRECTIONS
- 1/4 Cup Oil FOLLOW YOUR BOX DIRECTIONS
- 3 Eggs FOLLOW YOUR BOX DIRECTIONS
- 1/2 Tsp Coconut Extract
- Frosting – Pink , your choice of brand
- 1/3 Cup Coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray or line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, eggs and coconut extract in a bowl or stand mixer and beat on medium high for 3-4 minutes. Fill cupcake about 1/2 or 3/4 way full.
- Bake for 19-23 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting. About 1 hour.
- Apply frosting. Can be store bought or homemade.
- Sprinkle a little coconut on each cupcake.