This recipe will show you how to make a pink and red themed Valentine’s Muddy Buddies. It’s an easy and versatile sweet snack mix perfect for crowds. All you need is a bowl and people can just grab a handful and eat.
I have been making them for almost every holiday, like my Christmas Muddy Buddies. And, I plan on posting up my St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies, where I’ll have a special surprise.
What are muddy buddies made of?
Most people use Chex Mix cereal to make muddy buddies. However, I don’t. I prefer to use Crispix. They seem a little softer and I like the shape of Crispix vs. Chex Mix. But, that’s just my personal preference. They still taste good using Chex Mix. I’ll eat ’em.
You coat the cereal with melted chocolate and then add whatever else you want to add, such as candy, candy sprinkles, powdered sugar, etc.. The possibilities are really endless. Just change up the colors of the candy and/or sprinkles to go with your theme.
When they first started showing up, they were made with peanut butter and chocolate, with a powdered sugar coating. And, it was called Puppy Chow since it kinda looked like dog food. Then everyone started coming up with different varieties, like myself.
Is muddy buddies the same as puppy chow?
What I used to make mine…..
- Melt Chocolate chips
- Pour over Crispix Cereal
- Place in large baggie
- Add powdered sugar/candy/sprinkles
- Shake bag and coat the Crispix with the powdered sugar
- Pour onto baking sheet to “set”
Here are some more ideas to make cute Valentine’s Day treats…
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the right hand side of this page and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
Tried one of our recipes? We would love it if you would let us know what you thought or if you have any suggestions.
Speaking of suggestions? Have any? If so, please email me at email@example.com .
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Valentine’s Muddy Buddies
- 4 1/2 Cups Crispix Cereal Can use Chex Cereal
- 1 1/2 Cups White Chocolate Chips
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Pink and Red M&Ms
- 2-4 Tbsp Valentine's Candy Sprinkles
- Pour Crispix in large bowl. Melt butter & white chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals. **You can also melt in a double boiler.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the Crispix. Mix well. Try to cover all the cereal. Pour the cereal in a gallon size baggie.
- Add the powdered sugar, M&Ms and sprinkles in the bag.
- Shake the bag until all of it has been covered with the powdered sugar. Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet in a think layer. Let sit 30 min – 1 hour.
- Serve or store for later.