Bacon Wrapped Smokies are the best sweet and savory appetizer you could make. Lil Smokies wrapped in bacon and then baked in brown sugar and butter.
Just look at those. If I was eating more sugar, I would have devoured every single one of these you see on this plate.
No one is allowed to eat the recipes I make for Through the Cooking Glass. My husband and daughter were hovering over me waiting to dig in. Once I gave the go-ahead, I couldn’t stop my husband and daughter from eating them. The name “crack weenies” fits. I’m a witness to the madness.
What you need
- Lil Smokies
- Brown sugar
Can you make bacon wrapped smokies ahead of time
Yes. Right before these go in the oven, you sprinkle brown sugar over them. I would wait to do those if you are going to prepare ahead of time.
If you prepare them and freeze them. Add an additional 5-7 minutes to the cooking time.
How do you bake Smokies
Bake in preheated oven on 425°. If you are baking lil smokies by themselves, start with 10 minutes then check. If you are wrapping them with bacon, like here, then you should flip after 10 minutes and put them back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
Do you prefer yours more done or even crispier than mine? Add another 10-15 minutes to your cook time.
How to reheat bacon wrapped smokies
To reheat, place in preheated oven on 400° for about 15-17 minutes, then check. If not completely heated through, based on your oven, put back in for another 5-7 minutes.
Looking for appetizer ideas
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 9 x 13 Baking dish
- 1 Pkg (12 oz) Lil Smokies My package had 33 lil smokies
- 1 Pkg (1 lb) Bacon, cut in half
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- Wrap each smokie with a "half" of bacon slice.
- Place in 9×13 baking dish.
- Melt the butter and mix with 1 cup of brown sugar.
- Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over the wrapped smokies.
- Cover the dish and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven 425°.
- Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator. Uncover. Sprinkle the remaining cup of brown sugar on the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Take out of oven and flip. Put back in for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.