Simple Pot Roast without potatoes recipe. Just sear, add water and cook. Like the name says…..simple.
What is the best roast for pot roast?
Chuck Roast is the best cut of meat to use for pot roast. But, you can turn most any roast into a great, fall apart, pot roast.
Do you season a roast before searing?
You should at least season a pot roast before searing with salt and pepper. Other seasonings, or flavoring, can be added to the water when cooking.
What does it mean to sear a roast?
To sear, or brown, a roast prior to cooking, means to lock in the moisture/juices of the meat while it’s cooking. Basically, it seals the juices inside the meat. Keeps it from drying out.
Will pot roast fall apart?
Pot roast is my favorite way to cook a roast because it falls apart. I’m not a big fan of oven roast because it really doesn’t fall apart. Oven roast is more for being able to “slice” the meat.
How long will pot roast keep in the refrigerator?
A roast will keep up to 4 days in the fridge. Be sure to store in an airtight container.
Here’s one of those things you can make with the left overs…
More dinner ideas…
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the side and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Simple Pot Roast
- Frying Pan
- 6-8 Quart Pot/Saucepan
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Rump Roast any size
- 12 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Better than bouillon, beef Sub 4 cubes of beef bouillon cubes
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Pour the oil in a 6-8 quart pan and turn the heat on high. Let it heat up. Place the roast in the pan and sear it on all sides. You don't want to cook it through. Leave it long enough to brown the side, then flip.
- Mix 4 cups of the water with the better with bouillon and stir to dissolve.
- Once the roast has been seared on all sides, put roast in the water. Add the bouillon/water on top of the roast. Then add the other 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer and cool for 3 hours.
- Alternative, instead of searing the roast in the 6-8 quart pan, you can sear it in a frying pan and transfer it to the 6-8 quart pan.