This Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is to die for. It’s a lot like Loaded Potato Soup with some ham thrown in there. Topped with cheese, green onions, and bacon!
I made this two days ago, but had leftovers because there is only 4 of us living here and this was a 6 man batch. When I started editing my photos for this post/recipe, I stopped and went and heated a bowl up. This time though, I added those french fried onions (you know, the ones you use in the green bean casserole) in lieu of the green onions. Loved the crunch and taste.
How do you make potato soup?
First you boil some diced potatoes and drain them. In the same pot, you’ll add cream of potato soup (for the creaminess), some milk and some seasonings. Let it cook on low until warm. After it is warm, add the cooked diced potatoes. This is when I added my ham in too. See the recipe and instructions below.
How do you add flavor to potato soup?
Seasonings. All I used was onion powder, salt and pepper. If you want you can go further with some garlic powder, as well.
What potato is best for soup?
Gold potatoes are actually best for potato soup. However, with this Ham and Potato Soup, I used Russet. Use whatever potato you like the taste of the best. You can leave the skin on or off when making soup.
I mean just looking at it makes you want it, right?
Not sure if you can tell which type of pot I am cooking with, but this is a Copper Chef pot/casserole dish. You can do so many things with this one pot like this. My husband bought this for me and turns out, I use it more than I thought I would.
Instead of throwing some more soup dishes out there, I decided to give you more potato recipes to try…
Potato Salad – my hubs favorite
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the side and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Ham and Potato Soup
- 6-8 quart pot
- 4 Med-Lrg Russet Potatoes, diced Or your preference
- 3 Cups Diced Ham
- 2 Cans Cream of Potato Soup 10 1/2 oz cans
- 2 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder Sub Garlic Powder, if desired
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 Tsp Pepper, Black
- Shredded Cheddar/Colby Jack Cheese OPTIONAL
- Bacon, crumbled OPTIONAL
- Green Onions, chopped OPTIONAL
- Sour Cream OPTIONAL
- Boil the diced potatoes for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add the soup, milk and seasonings. Whisk until combined. Heat on medium heat.
- Once the soup mixture is warm, add the potatoes and ham. Stir.
- Continue to heat on medium/medium low (depending on your stove) for 30 minutes - 1 hour.