Doesn’t that look awesome? The coconut cupcakes turned out amazing!! And as usual, I used a cake mix and store bought frosting, just made a couple changes. So, hello, this is as easy as they can get…but taste better than homemade.
I did have some help with these. Two of my grandsons were over today and they helped me make them. One of my grandsons had a birthday party at school Friday and had to leave early for a Dentist appointment. When his Mom got there to pick him up, they were having a birthday party for one of the other kids. My grandson had started eating his cupcake when she came to get him and the Teacher made him leave it. So, he was still craving a cupcake. G to the Rescue! He and his brother really enjoyed making these. My little bakers in training.
Back to the cupcakes. The secret ingredient to the cupcake is….wait for it….cream of coconut. Yup. You can find this on the isle with the Mexican food. Sometimes you can find it with the stuff to make alcoholic beverages. Know where I ‘m talking about? Anywhoo..
See the recipe below to see what I did to the frosting. Here are the boys frosting their cupcakes. And the final version.
Want more cupcakes?
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the side and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
- Cupcake Pan / Muffin Tin
- Stand Mixer/Hand Mixer
- 1 Box (18.25oz) PIllsbury Classic White Cake Mix
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 Cup Cream of Coconut
- 1 16 oz Pillsburty Classic White Frosting
- 1 Tbsp Coffee Mate Coconut Creme Coffee Creamer
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Extract
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flakes Give or Take
- Preheat Oven to 350°
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan.
- Mix/Combine cake mix, water, oil, egg whites and cream of coconut. Mix on low for 1/2 minute, then increase speed to high for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour/spoon batter into the cupcake liners. Best to fill 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 19-23 Minutes. Let cool 30 minutes to an hour before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooking. Mix the frosting. Combine the frosting, coffee creamer and coconut extract. Set in the fridge until you are ready to frost.
- Lick the mixer.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled. Frost them.
- Top with coconut flakes. Repeat if you only did 12 cupcakes the first round.