Homemade mashed potatoes for 4. Only 3 ingredients plus salt and pepper. Stop using packaged instant potatoes and make these instead.
Is it healthy to eat mashed potatoes?
Homemade mashed potatoes are made from real potatoes, unlike the packaged instant potatoes. They are low in fat. And, also low calories. But, beware, they are high in potassium. If you are having to watch your intake, you might want to skip potatoes.
How do I make mashed potatoes from scratch.
All you need to do is boil some diced potatoes in water. Drain. Then, mash them with milk and butter. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and you have homemade mashed potatoes from scratch.
How many potatoes should you make per person for mashed potatoes?
It is hard to give an exact number, depending on the size of the potatoes. If you can measure in weight, 1/2 pound of potato per person is a good place to start. Or, you could make 2 medium potatoes per person as a guide.
How long with my homemade mashed potatoes last?
Mashed potatoes will last approximately 4 days if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More side dishes…
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – Hey, if you like any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the right hand side of this page and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
Tried one of our recipes? We would love it if you would let us know what you thought or if you have any suggestions.
Speaking of suggestions? Have any? If so, please email me at email@example.com .
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- 4-6 Quart Sauce Pan
- Hand Mixer
- 8 Russett Potatoes, medium
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Milk
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Place cut potatoes in 4 quart pot with 2-4 quarts of water. (Water should cover the potatoes)
- Boil 15-20 minutes with the lid on, or until you stick a fork in a potato and it slides through, or slightly breaks the potato. Drain potatoes in colander.
- In the same pot, while hot, add the milk and butter. Stir until the butter has melted. May need to turn burner on low until the butter has melted.
- Place potatoes back in the pot with the milk and butter. Using a hand mixter, blend until creamy. If you like your potatoes thinner, add a tbsp of milk until you get your desired creaminess. If you like your potatoes chunky, use less milk.
- Spoon into a serving bowl, add a pat of butter on top (if desired). Serve.