Up your grilled cheese game with this Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese. Made with homemade Sloppy Joes, you can get right here.
Instead of questions about grilled cheese, I used the same question/answer from the Sloppy Joes since it is the main ingredient.
How do you make Sloppy Joes from scratch for your Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese?
Obviously, you need ground beef, but then, many recipes differ. You can use tomato soup, tomato sauce, tomato paste, or ketchup. I used the ketchup, then added some mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and some spices. Easy as all get out.
What can I use instead of tomato paste for Sloppy Joes?
As I mentioned above, my suggestion, is use tomato soup or ketchup. Just remember to adjust (reduce) any other liquid in your recipe.
Why do they call them Sloppy Joes?
The story goes that a cook named Joe added tomato sauce to his “loose meat” sandwich and the Sloppy Joe was born. If I didn’t know that little tidbit of information, I would have guessed it’s because it’s sloppy to eat.
What is a good side to have with Sloppy Joes?
Can Sloppy Joes be frozen?
Yes. Let the Sloppy Joes cool to room temperature. Place in an airtight container. If you are using a baggie, remove all of the air in the baggie before placing in the freezer. Sloppy Joes last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Sandwiches you can make
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the right hand side of this page and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
Tried one of our recipes? We would love it if you would let us know what you thought or if you have any suggestions.
Speaking of suggestions? Have any? If so, please email me at email@example.com .
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Slices Bread I used Sourdough
- 2 Slices American Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sloppy Joes
- Let 1 tbsp of butter melt in the frying pan, on med to med-high heat.
- Using 1 tbsp of butter per slice of bread, spread evenly over one side of each piece.
- Once the butter is melted in the pan, place one slice of bread in the pan (butter side up).
- In the following order, add on top of the slice of bread (in the pan)….1 slice of cheese, 1/2 cup of Sloppy Joes, 1 slice of cheese. Then place the other slice of bread on top (butter side down).
- Cook for a total of 4-5 minutes, or until you prefer. Remove from pan, place on a plate. Add the last 1 tbsp of butter in the pan and let melt.
- Place the sandwich back in the pan with the uncooked slice of bread down. Basically, you just flipped it. Cook 4-5 minutes, or until you prefer.
- Remove from pan and serve.