HOMEMADE Basic Cake Mix
Here’s a simple homemade cake mix for ya. I halved the recipe for mine. We were going for a thinner two layer cake for this particular occasion. I spunked it up though and added purple food coloring for my granddaughter’s birthday party. She was doing a very colorful party theme.
The frosting I made for this was a Creamy Whipped Nutella Frosting. Man that was some awesome frosting. You could use any frosting you want, but this went real well and was a huge hit!
Sometimes I just want to go the easy route. OK, I do that a lot actually. But this cake was easy to make and was AH….something to taste. Very fluffy and light. No hard to find ingredients here. You probably have all of the ingredients on hand right now.
Sorry about the picture quality and lack of some. First, it was crazy making all the food that day and then I had to wait to take the final pictures during the party with a room FULL of people. If you’re a food blogger like me, then you know the staging is not that easy with everyone all up in your way.
Have you ever dyed a cake?
Peach Cobbler Cake – if you don’t need to frost it.
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the side and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
HOMEMADE Basic Cake Mix
- Round Cake Pans x2
- Stand Mixer/Hand Mixer
- 2 Cups White Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Tsp Vanilla
- 3 Cups Flour, All Purpose
- 2 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- Food Coloring If desired
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease/Spray 2 round cake pans, or 9×13 cake pan.
- Cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mix to creamy mix slowly. Scrape the sides as needed.
- Add in milk. Start on low until the milk becomes blended, then turn on high and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in food coloring, if desired. Pour in cake pan(s). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 1-2 hours before frosting.