Easy Sopapilla Recipe. Take a flour tortilla, fry it to a crispy perfection, then smothered it in cinnamon and sugar. Can finish off by drizzling chocolate syrup over them.
What is a sopapilla made of?
You can make sopapillas using flour tortillas or pastry dough. After frying them, you cover them with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
What is the difference between a sopapilla and a beignet?
The difference between a sopapilla and a beignet is that a sopapilla is made, as described above, using tortillas or pastry dough. This makes a sopapilla hard and flaky. A beignet is made using a yeast dough. This make the beignet soft and doughy. Here’s a great recipe for a beignet “New Orleans Beignets Recipe” from Seeded at the Table.
How to make a sopapilla
This is one way to make them. All you need is flour tortillas, oil, cinnamon, and sugar. I used avocado oil in mine. You can use vegetable oil, if you like.
Cut the tortillas in quarters.
Fry in the preheated oil.
Toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Or, just sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture right out of the oil.
Here are some ideas to eat before you munch down on the easy sopapilla recipe.
ITEMS/INGREDIENTS USED IN RECIPE – If you are interested in any of the items I may have used (or are similar to the items I used) in making this recipe, I have listed some of them below. NOTE: These links are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from the sale of certain item. This does not affect your price, it remains the same.
If you like this or any other dish on my site, please feel free to sign up for the weekly email where you can see what new recipe we have created over here. Just look over to the right hand side of this page and you’ll find the “sign up” button.
If you have any questions or see any “blooper” we made, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re all human.
Tried one of our recipes? We would love it if you would let us know what you thought or if you have any suggestions.
Speaking of suggestions? Have any? If so, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
This post may contain affiliate links. Please view my disclosure policy for more information.
Easy Sopapilla Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 5 Tortillas, Flour Store bought or homemade
- 2 Cups Avocado Oil Can substitute with vegetable oil. Amount may vary depending on size of skillet.
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- Chocolate Syrup, if desired, optional
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut tortillas in for quarters.
- Fry the tortilla quarters (triangles) in heated oil until the poof up. Flip. About 45 sec – 1 minute each side.
- Fry the other side until golden brown. Depending on how many you can fit in your frying pan/skillet will depend on how long the entire process takes.
- Place on paper towels.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over both sides.
- ALT METHOD – place tortilla, right out of the oil, in the bowl with the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Drag through the mix, flip, and drag again. Then place on paper towel covered plate.
- Garnish with chocolate syrup.